0 items Pay my invoice Newsletter signup Discounted plumbing, heating & drainage shop
Sutton and East Surrey Water Services Search

Protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning

02 November 2012

‘A Berkshire man whose wife died due to carbon monoxide poisoning has welcomed the new law requiring alarms in all new homes in Northern Ireland. Richard Haines hopes the move could see carbon monoxide alarms made a legal requirement in Britain. His wife, Katie Haines, 31, of Wokingham, drowned in the bath after breathing in carbon monoxide from a leaking boiler.’ (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-20151061 )

Protect yourself and your family by installing a carbon monoxide detector. You'll benefit from the following:

  • Early detection

  • An audible alarm

  • Risk prevention

  • Peace of mind

Carbon monoxide is a colourless odourless tasteless gas that is absorbed by the blood 240 times more easily than oxygen. It deprives the body of oxygen and can kill quickly if we are exposed to large amounts, particularly when we are asleep, it can also build up over a period of time. Symptoms include: headaches, dizziness and nausea (similar to flu).

Most at risk are young children, the elderly, pregnant women, people with respiratory problems and animals. It is difficult for doctors to diagnose CO poisoning due to its similarity to other illnesses. So why take any chances?

Mr Haines, called for people to protect themselves, he said: "Smoke alarms are not compulsory but nearly everyone has one and people still think their smoke alarm can detect carbon monoxide."Even if you get your boiler serviced once a year or have a wood burner which you make sure is clean and swept you could be poisoned by next door."

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-20151061 )

Sutton and East Surrey Water Services supply Honeywell carbon monoxide detectors for purchase at £36.00 (including VAT and fitting) per unit. Call us on 020 8722 7004 to book an engineer today and protect your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In Boilers

By: Linda Payne

Comment Form


Gas Safe

Priority Club - Exclusive news and offers Sign up today