0 items Pay my invoice Newsletter signup Discounted plumbing, heating & drainage shop
Sutton and East Surrey Water Services Search

Gas Central Heating Tips & FAQs

Got a question about gas central heating and boilers?

Simply select the question you’re interested to expand the page and reveal the answer.

  • Are Sutton and East Surrey Water Services gas and central heating engineers regulated?
  • Yes, all our engineers are on the Gas Safe Register. The Gas Safe Register is the official body for gas safety in Great Britain and the Isle of Man – it replaces CORGI. If you’re looking for a gas engineer to carry out work on your property, always make sure they are Gas Safe Register listed – it’s illegal for an unlisted person to carry out repairs or boiler installations. Find out more at http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
  • I can smell gas leaking – what should I do?
  • If you can smell gas leaking:
    - Turn off the gas lever at the mains
    - Do not operate any electrical equipment, use any light switches or use a mobile phone
    - Open windows and put out any cigarettes or naked flames. 
    - Treat the suspected gas leak as REAL until further notice. 
    - Avoid any rooms with a strong smell of gas and call the National Grid on 0800 111 999 for professional help.

    A National Grid agent will ask you to report all the appropriate details, including how many people are at the property, how long the smell has been noticeable and whether any neighbours have been affected. Once all the information has been gathered, it will be sent electronically to a National Grid engineer for action.Following the leak, all electrical appliances (e.g. cookers, boilers or fires) will need to be checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer to ensure they are safe to use.
  • How often should I replace my gas boiler?
  • A boiler should last up to 15 years, with regular inspections and servicing. Over one million boilers are replaced each year within the UK. According to the Energy Saving Trust (www.est.org.uk), the average domestic boiler is only 70 per cent efficient. Even then, after a decade of use, this efficiency is dramatically reduced.
  • What type of boiler do you recommend?
  • This depends on the needs of your household. Now you have a choice between a combination boiler, which provides heating and hot water on demand, or a conventional boiler, which operates the central heating, but has a separate cylinder for hot water storage.

    Combination boilers can provide a continuous flow of hot water, require less space and avoid heating water unnecessarily, but are less suitable for houses where there are simultaneous demands on the hot water, such as multiple bathrooms or showers, or where there is poor mains water pressure. 

    Conventional heat-only boilers take up more space than a combination system – as they include a feed and expansion tank and a cylinder, but they are able to provide hot water to several sources at once and are more suitable for larger houses.
  • What features should I look for in a boiler?
  • To make sure that your boiler is correctly sized for your property, consider the following questions:

    - How many radiators do you have?
    - How many bathrooms do you have?
    - How many rooms are in the house?
    - Do you have double-glazing?
    - How much heat does your home lose?
    - Are you planning to build an extension to your house?

    A Gas Safe Registered listed installer will be able to help assess your answers to these questions and determine the type of boiler most suited for your property.
  • How can I find a trustworthy installer (fitter or engineer)?
  • Your boiler must be installed by a Gas Safe Registered listed installer. Installers must carry their ID cards with them. This will list the gas work they are certified to carry out. You should always check that the person who comes out to see you is qualified to carry out the work you require.
  • What about the CORGI scheme – don’t gas fitters need to be CORGI-registered?
  • CORGI gas registration is no longer valid or recognised in Great Britain and the Isle of Man. To work legally on gas appliances and installations you must be on the Gas Safe Register (GSR). Look out for the GSR logo, or alternatively visit the Gas Safe Register website to find your nearest accredited installer.

Contact us 

Please select the relevant form based on your query:


From Croydon to Crawley and Weybridge to Tonbridge, we’ve got you covered.


Gas Safe logo APHC logo Energy Savings Trust logo Water Safe logo

Priority Club - Exclusive news and offers Sign up today