0 items Pay my invoice Newsletter signup Discounted plumbing, heating & drainage shop
Sutton and East Surrey Water Services Search

External Supply Pipe Tips & FAQs

  • Who is responsible for water supply pipes – me or the water company?
  • You may not know it, but the water supply pipe that runs to your home is your responsibility. Below are some of the most popular questions and answers relating to water supply pipes, who's responsible and what to do in the event of a problem.
  • I share a supply pipe, what am I responsible for?
  • The supply pipe is the pipe coming from the principle stop-valve into your property. Most modern houses have an independent water supply pipe into the property, which is the householder’s responsibility. In older properties, there may be a shared supply pipe for one or more properties. You are responsible for leaks and the maintenance of this pipe. If the pipe is shared, so is the responsibility.
  • Is it my responsibility to check for my supply pipe for leaks?
  • Yes it is. You are responsible for maintaining the underground water supply pipe from the boundary of your property into your home. We recommend that, if you have a meter, you take regular readings to check for possible leaks.
  • How can I tell if I have a leak in my supply pipe?
  • There are tell-tale signs that give supply pipe leaks away. If your water pressure is slow, your garden is waterlogged or your meter reading is much higher than you’d expect, then you may have a leak in your supply pipe.If you think you have a leak and you have an external water meter, you can do a simple test by turning off the inside stop-valve of your property, opening the external meter and taking a reading. Then leave the stop-valve closed and do not use the water for at least 30 minutes. Check the meter again – if there has been an increase in the reading it is likely that you have a leak.
  • What problems can a leaking supply pipe cause?
  • A leaking supply pipe can cause many serious problems including:
    - Damp
    - Weakened foundations and subsidence
    - Waterlogged gardens
    - Damage to driveways
    - Valuable water wastage
    - Metered bill increase
  • What can I do to stop the leak?

  • As the leak is underground and on a high pressure pipe it requires specialists to fix the problem. If it is a major burst, you can turn off the water at the outside stop-valve to reduce the loss of water until help arrives.


Contact us

Please choose what you would like to contact us about:

From Croydon to Crawley and Weybridge to Tonbridge, we’ve got you covered.


Gas Safe logo APHC logo Energy Savings Trust logo Water Safe logo

Priority Club - Exclusive news and offers Sign up today